[Foundation-l] Will Beback

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 10:00:05 UTC 2012

I must disagree with Risker that this is simply a local issue involving a
single project or with a previous editor who feels that English Wikipedia
can take care of itself. We have a serious lack of editors not only on
English Wikipedia but within the project as a whole and this is getting
worse rather than better. The foundation has been putting great efforts
into attracting editors and Will's case touches on the issue of recruitment
and retention of editors to the project as a whole and thus is directly
relevant to the WMF. We have had issues with how some admins treat new
editors to the movement and it seems we also have issues with how some of
our long standing editors are dealt with specifically by Arbcom. If we base
our decisions on isolated behavioral matters exclusively without taking
into account content issues or the contribution histories of the editors in
question this institution will make bad decisions for the project and the
movement as a whole.

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian