[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 15:11:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9 March 2012 13:52, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So what you're saying is, you feel confident that everyone agrees with
> you,
> > and thus perfectly comfortable speaking on behalf of the entire
> community?
> > I see.
>

> I thought he was noting the observation that when the Board and staff
> tried to push the issue, a large chunk of de:wp threatened to just get
> up and leave.
>

> - d.

I'm not sure where you saw that mentioned or how it's relevant to my
exchange with Cimon. His phrase "we the community" is an example of an
unfortunate problem in discussions about the Wikimedia community and
movement; people tend to generalize their own views to the majority, to
assume for themselves the weight of consensus, and then write as though
they speak on behalf of the entire community when they clearly do not. It's
simply common courtesy not to speak on behalf of others unless they have
elected you to do so, and I wish more Wikimedians observed that courtesy.