[Foundation-l] Image filter

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:50:17 UTC 2012

On 9 March 2012 14:47, Tobias Oelgarte <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Am 09.03.2012 15:34, schrieb Gerard Meijssen:
>
>  The question you have to ask yourself, where is the value in Commons when
>> we do not optimise it as much as possible so that it will be the
>> repository
>> of choice of freely licensed imagery.
>> Thanks,
>>      GerardM
>>
> That's right. But why did the current approaches only had one goal - the
> exclusion/hiding of controversial media - in mind?

Partly because it is the low hanging fruit (i.e. the thing that will have
the most impact in forwarding our goals of accessible knowledge).

Partly because of the old adage that things that people complain about the
most are those that get noticed.

It is unfortunate that the board chose to cast the initiative in this
light; because I can entirely see why some factions would find it
unpalatable (as presented).

Tom