[Foundation-l] Image filter

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 14:34:30 UTC 2012

Hoi,
With all due respect, there are plenty of images that do not particularly
add to the sum of all wisdom. There are plenty of images in that category
that do not add anything at all to what is already there.

Commons has as its motto: "a database of
12,349,098<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:Statistics>
 freely usable<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Reusing_content_outside_Wikimedia>
media
files to which anyone can
contribute<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Welcome>
."
This is valid however it needs a lot of work before it is the database of
freely usable media files where you can actually find what you are looking
for. Add to this the real hesitation people have to advertise it as the
quality repository it more or less is because of problematic imagery it
includes and you have a situation where you have to ask yourself: What is
Commons there for.

   - it is the repository for images used on the WMF projects
   - it is a repository of images that is made optimally available to all
   seekers

I am sure that there can be an option that allows you or someone else to
see "everything", good luck with that. I am equally sure that because of
there not being the filters we have discussed all too often many people
will continue to refrain from using Commons.

The question you have to ask yourself, where is the value in Commons when
we do not optimise it as much as possible so that it will be the repository
of choice of freely licensed imagery.
Thanks,
     GerardM