[Foundation-l] Image filter

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 13:50:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Thomas Morton
<morton.thomas at googlemail.com>wrote:

> > Give as a clear message, that Wikipedia/Wikimedia will never assist in
> > hiding knowledge.
> >

> The day that Wiki*edia changes its mission from providing access to free
> knowledge to "enforcing our view of knowledge on you", would be a saddening
> day.
>
> Tom

It does that already, in a lot of ways. As catholic as it attempts to be,
the "knowledge paradigm" that Wikimedia represents is only a small sliver
of the sum of knowledge in the world. That's just one way in which it
enforces its view of knowledge; acceding to or refusing to filter content
in any way is also enforcing a particular view of both knowledge and the
world. It would do both sides well to approach this argument with a little
less arrogance and self-righteousness.

Nathan