[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 8 07:13:25 UTC 2012

> If you search for "devoirs" (= homework) or "vacances" (= holiday) on
> French Wikipedia, you're presented with a porn video in which a man and a
> woman engage in sex acts (cunnilingus and fellatio) with a dog.
>

> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sp%C3%A9cial%3ARecherche&profile=images&search=devoirs&fulltext=Search&searchengineselect=mediawiki
>

> http://fr.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Sp%C3%A9cial%3ARecherche&profile=images&search=vacances&fulltext=Search&searchengineselect=mediawiki
>

> http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Devoirs_de_vacances.ogv

Uh.

So in a not insignificant part of the world that video is illegal.

Including the UK where it carries a 2 year prison sentence
for possession or distribution. I don't know of specific case law in France
but given their recent spate of obscenity laws, and the fact that Zoophilia
was outlawed in 2004, it seems likely.

In the US distributing it is often illegal to states where it is outlawed -
although no one has tested this in terms of internet distribution (at least
not to my recollection). It certainly fails the Miller Test. There are
certain countries where this will get you a death sentence.

Tom