[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 6 00:33:47 UTC 2012

Am 05.03.2012 19:21, schrieb Andreas Kolbe:
> I agree you're damned if you do, damned if you don't, and you have my
> sympathy.
>
> However, I would like you to consider what our users get when they do a
> Multimedia search for "male human" in Wikipedia:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=500&offset=0&redirs=0&profile=images&search=male+human
>
> Or try just "human":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&limit=500&offset=0&redirs=0&profile=images&search=human
>
> Is this the Wikimedia view of what humanity is about?
>
> There are people in this movement who are happy with this status quo, and
> who say they will fork if anything changes.
>
> Let them.
>
> Andreas

Sometimes your a little bit to persistent. I know that this results are
giving a wrong image, but you brought them up in at least 20 discussions
until now. But this won't solve anything. How about some active work to
come up with possible solutions? No, I don't mean solutions that would
perfectly fit your own demands. It is way more productive to search for
solutions that the opposition could agree with, while also achieving the
own goals at the same time.

You saw my search proposal and you where in favour of it. But it wasn't
only you who could agree with this proposal. The opposition would be
happy with it as well. That is the way to go. But to find such solutions
you will need to respect other opinions as well.

Back to your "human" examples, I have simple explanation. This images,
how controversial they are, get good treatment by the community. Yes
even a deletion request is good treatment in this case. There are much
more people involved with this files then with many other files. This
leads to very direct descriptions, better categorization and so on. Now
we must not wonder that the search is so happy to represent the current
results. Such actions make them even more popular and give them a high
rank inside the results.

You also stated in another discussion that the sexuality related
categories and images are also very popular among our readers and that
the current practices would make it a porn site. Not that we are such a
great porn site, we aren't, but we know where all this people come from.
Take a look at the popular search terms at Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. One
thing to notice: Sexuality related search requests are very popular.
Since Wikipedia is high ranked and Commons as well, it is no wonder that
so many people visit this galleries, even if they are disappointed in a
very short time browsing through our content. But using this as an
argument that we are a porn website is a fraud conclusion, as well as
using this as an argument.

nya~