[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia considering declaring open-season on works from countries lacking US copyright relations

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:25:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Richard Symonds
<richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
> I'd just like to echo NYB here. I'm dissappointed that so many of our
> community are taking such a view.
>
> Richard Symonds
> Office&  Development Manager
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 207 065 0992

One more echo from here. Our position should be clear that we are not
neutral when anyone tries to make it harder for communitymembers
assert what our purpose for existing is. Strongly supporting copyright
protections that make it possible to be copyleft, are a strong part of
that. IP-protections that *enable* rather than hinder that, are a very
good indeed. And vice versa. We can only assert copyleft if copyright
is correctly followed. And if copyright is draconically asserted, our ability
to protect our copyleft is harmed just as much, if not more.

Just voted on the issues, so if any one is curious...