[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 17:49:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:44 AM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Niabot has just come up with what I think is a great idea for addressing
> the search problem you mention in your postscript. He's proposed a
> clustered search function. (Anybody remember Vivísimo?)
>
> This could not just solve the problem of NSFW media popping up unexpectedly
> in media searches in Wikipedias and Commons. It would generally make
> Commons' search function more user-friendly, by grouping search results
> according to categories. So adult media would no longer pop up in the
> middle of unrelated searches, monarch butterflies would be separated from
> other types of monarch, etc.

The beauty of clustering search engines is that they are not prejudicial. And
fundamentally improve functionality of the search. Enable to find what you
personally *want* to find, rather than merely making it easier to exclude what
someone wants to make it easier for you to not find
you don't want to find. And it is done by the search engine software (at least
in theory), not people who are not the person browsing.