[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Mid-Year Presentation to the Board, esp. Visual Editor

En Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 5 07:33:19 UTC 2012

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't expect a response until Monday at the
earliest!

I understand that the primary audience was the Board and that they would be
seeing this with the addition verbal commentary. However, when WMF is also
making these slides public, which I think is a great thing to do, then we
(the public) are a secondary audience that doesn't have the benefit of that
verbal commentary. When WMF is building these sorts of presentations,
especially if you know that the presentations will be made public, I think
it would be wise to consider what these presentations will communicate both
to the primary audience and to the public. In this case, what I perceived
was a significant difference between what was being communicated to the
Board and what the "ground truth" is for those of us who are looking forward
to the visual editor but have yet to get the benefit of the public rollout.

Regarding the problem of the lower than expected number of active editors, I
think that a hope of many people is that the rollout of the visual editor
will help to address that issue, and this is one reason why I'm personally
so strongly interested in the visual editor's progress.

Thanks again for making the presentation public and for your reply.

Pine