[Foundation-l] Controversial content software status

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Mon Mar 5 03:04:41 UTC 2012

phoebe ayers wrote:
[snip]
> It seems clear however that regardless, there is both much technical
> and social work that needs to be done around controversial content
> that has nothing to do with image hiding, e.g. to improve Commons
> search, rigorously get model releases, etc. etc.; and also that for
> any particular technical proposal around image hiding there would be
> many, many (perhaps insuperable) issues and details to work out.

Yes. Implementing even basic image tagging would be helpful, I think. Lots
of low-hanging software development fruit on Commons.

> I'd like to point out here that the other points addressed in both of
> the controversial content resolutions
> (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Images_of_identifiable_people
> and http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Controversial_content),
> though much less controversial, are also quite important!

Thank you for the detailed response. :-)

I think having the resolutions published is great, but I also think having
an index with statuses of high-level projects would also be good. Somewhere
where outsiders and insiders can look and answer a question about the status
of X (e.g., controversial content software implementation) without needing
to bother Board members. ;-)

Any ideas on implementing something like that? I'm not sure how many other
high-level projects there are, even. Any guidance on this would be great and
appreciated.

MZMcBride