[Foundation-l] WikiQueer

Gregory Varnum gregory.varnum at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 08:01:22 UTC 2012

Fae,

As Keegan mentioned, I'm Lead Admin for WikiQueer and can speak to some of the below.

The system of transclusion that we're using is built into the MediaWiki software, and one used by several other projects.  This was actually suggested to us by folks within the Wikimedia community.  Essentially it's a way to prevent duplication of efforts and give appropriate link credit to the original article on Wikipedia.  We also took special care to make sure licensing matched up between the two projects for ease of that usage.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ScaryTransclusion
http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Template:Wikipedia_transclusion

We did not intend to imply a special relationship, and in areas go out of our way to clarify that we don't have any official affiliation.  I've also cleaned up a few pages to clarify that further, just in case there was any confusion.
http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Wikimedia

We did assist in facilitating some LGBT outreach for Wikimedia, Wikimania and, in smaller part, the broader wiki community.  Here's a participation grant I submitted for that effort:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Varnent/CreatingChange2012/Report

We're also making a conscious effort to involve Wikimedia movement folks - so there's a healthy relationship between the projects.
http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Global_Advisory_Board#Current_Members

Finally, we've volunteered dozens of developers hours to give back to the MediaWiki developer community.

Also looking at ways to continue to partner and support the work of the Wikimedia movement, Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia Chapters and MediaWiki communities.  Eager to speak with more third-party wikis supporting WM efforts at Wikimania this summer.

I hope that helps clarify any questions about our intent, interest in supporting WM efforts and clarification that while we'd love for a partnership in the future - nothing exists yet.

-greg aka varnent

-------
Gregory Varnum
Lead Administrator, WikiQueer