[Foundation-l] A discussion list for Wikimedia (not "Foundation") matters

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 16:35:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Tom Morris <tom at tommorris.org> wrote:

>> The full proposal is here:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia-l_proposal
>
> I think there's another way we could slice the cake:
>
> (a) a mailing list for discussing Foundation, chapter and management
> ... Maybe just rename Foundation-L to "movement-l", and perhaps
> encourage people to take stuff from internal and use movement.

This could include other issues related to the movement: publicity,
outreach to new communities, ambassador programs, related research.
Inclusive of what is discussed on internal, but not just governance
topics.

> (b) a more practical discussion related to content issues, cross-wiki
> issues and so on. Perhaps we could call this "projects-l".

In the venerable tradition of intwiki-l and (early on) wikipedia-l...
We haven't really had such a list for a long time, though f-l has been
used as a substitute.

I associate wikimedia (and being a wikimedian) with the projects, so I
would be inclined to call the latter list "wikimedia-l".  Anyone who
identifies with the projects should be interested in discussions that
take place there.  "movement-l" seems like a fine name for the first
list.

Whatever they are called, I agree that these two topics and audiences
are easy to separate; most long threads would clearly fall into one or
the other.

Sam.