[Foundation-l] Politico: "Wikimedia foundation hires lobbyists on sopa, pipa"

Theo10011 de10011 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 23:33:16 UTC 2012

Mike, I noticed you have been equating "getting our voice heard" with
general lobbying. I am curious, mostly because I don't know what it
entails.

Am I wrong to assume, that lobbying involves approaching a registered,
professional consulting/lobbying firm in Washington who in turn, refer the
client to politicians and then facilitate meetings and discussions in
private, client are expected to pay expenses and other fees incurred in the
process, usually a pretty hefty sum. Are those discussions and arrangements
made in private, facilitated by lobbying firms, what is needed to get our
voice heard?

You mentioned the protest, and how proud you were to have been associated
with it, so were most of us. That was the right thing to do - open, direct
and public. All of which this doesn't seem to be.

You may have heard the other stereotype about lobbying, that people who
actually propose and support legislation like SOPA and PIPA are backed by
lobbyist on behalf RIAA, MPAA and other large publishers, who have very
deep pockets. It is not an uncommon assumption that the majority of the
lobbying industry backs the other side on the issue, since it is about
money and employing a lobbying firm's services is only a matter of how much
money someone is willing to spend on it. I considered lobbyists as a tool
for the wealthy to get their say, who can't state their opposing positions
openly. Again, these might be stereotypes, but the general realities aren't
that far off either.

Regards
Theo