[Foundation-l] Research assistance

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Sat Jan 21 14:28:04 UTC 2012

> I am applying for a summer student to do a Wikipedia Medicine research
> project through my department at UBC. One potentially project I am
> looking
> it is having them review all the edits made to Wikiproject Medicine
> articles. The student will go through each edit and a) determine if the
> edit is okay and revert it/fix it if it is not b) determine which edits
> are
> made from IP/new users verses long term edits c) calculate the percentage
> of positive/negative edits from each group d) they will be going over
> edits
> from more than one day old thus we will be able to determine how good
> Wikipedia is at repairing itself. I am thinking of collecting a weeks
> worth
> of edits.
>
> While we have a list here
> http://toolserver.org/~tim1357/cgi-bin/wikiproject_watchlist.py?template=WikiProject%20Medicine&order=desc&limit=200&t=0&m=1&b=0&user=&off=0&cat=0&hip=0&q=1
> if multiple edits
> are made to the same page in a single day it only shows the last one. Is
> it
> possible to get a list of all edits? If should be possible to work with
> this list if another is not available.

For the first topic on that list click on "hist" and you'll get the
editing history for the article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Psychopathy&action=history

You can take that back, usually, to the first edit which created the
article.

This is a wonderful project. There is a study that 50% of doctors
sometimes consult Wikipedia and that 5% edit, probably the largest
percentage of any professional group; and you can't say they're not busy.

I suspect that ips in this area are more often responsible editors than
is usual, simply doctors who do not have an account.

Fred