[Foundation-l] iBooks vs. wBooks?

Gregory Varnum gregory.varnum at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 23:22:17 UTC 2012

I tend to agree - I also think these tools present new opportunities for how to create program guides for events like Wikimania that transform into conference yearbooks by including videos from the event in the weeks following.  Perhaps releasing a developer handbook that updates every month or so (or maybe when a new version is released) to help with those education/outreach efforts, etc.  Having a wBook open on my iPad with videos, audio, slides and documentation on how to use something like ResourceLoader would be very cool and helpful.

In general, I agree these tools help set standards for interactive e-books (especially e-textbooks) supported by HTML5 that - while initially geared towards Apple platforms - is done in a way they will no doubt be made available and replicated on Android, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, etc. pretty quick.

If this latest development means that education publications are transformed in the way that music was transformed by iTunes - I think it would be wise to investigate ways to utilize - or at least support - these new standards and tools.

-greg aka varnent

-------
Gregory Varnum
Lead, Aequalitas Project