[Foundation-l] Blink tag jokes are now obsolete.

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 13 07:44:35 UTC 2012

Dear Till,

thanks for the clarifications and comments. I wasn't referring here to
any other aspect of the campaign than the specific set of banner
choices, and like I said, WMF made the same choices in the previous
campaign.

> Wikimedia CEO: Yes, we titled Pavel as Wikimedia CEO in the thank you
> banner - since that would be the translation of his position at
> Wikimedia Deutschland. As you can see on the refering landingpage his
> position was written out as CEO, Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. We had to
> shorten his function on the banner in order to have a short message.

Yeah, same as WMF in 2010 with the "Wikimedia Executive Director"
banner, with the same reasoning.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:NoticeTemplate/view&template=20101210_SA004A_US
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WMFSG011/en/US

Admittedly, that was preceded by the "Wikipedia Executive Director"
banner faux pas, which is what really got people up in arms in 2010.
But we stuck with "Wikimedia Foundation" in the banner this year to be
safe.Thanks for clarifying that the "urgent" banner was tested
repeatedly but didn't perform as well as other banners.

Depending on where the current discussions about fundraising practices
go, if we do stay within a model more or less like the current one, I
think it's important that we incorporate any agreed upon lessons from
each campaign into a shared code of Wikimedia fundraising practice.

Erik
--
Erik Möller