[Foundation-l] Oral Citations Sourcing

Castelo michelcastelobranco at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 04:17:47 UTC 2012

On 24-02-2012 23:18, Ziko van Dijk wrote:
> Those people who would like to write on Wikipedia about any subject
> can write a book or pdf about it. It does not have to be a scholarly
> work in every aspect. And then, the Wikipedia in language X can decide
> that it accepts this kind of literature as reliable. (Those various
> standards are not uncommon in the different Wikipedias.)
> Not everything has to happen*in*  Wikipedia.
> Kind regards
> Ziko
In the case of Oral Citations, the people who tells the facts are not
the same people who want to write on Wikipedia, and definitively, not
people willing to write a book or pdf. Editors are recording them for
using this material in Wikipedia.

We are willing to apply this in Brazil, with indigenous traditions. Some
of the indians cannot write a book, a pdf or a Wikipedia article and
those are exactly who have more expertise on their traditions. This can
give them authority when describing their rituals, clothings, artefacts,
fights, cuisine, etc., much more than a wikipedian can. And we still
have a huge lack on articles about them, because for certains indigenous
nations, there are almost no published material (some have no written
material at all, as far as i know). I live in the capital city, where
some of them usually come for present their culture in a national
museum, and go back to their territories. In moments like these, we
wikimedians can go there, take photos and record an interview (most
speak a bit Portuguese, as well as their own languages), for publishing
in Commons and Commons/Wikinews, respectively, for using in Wikipedia
articles.

I'm not thinking only on Wikipedia, we have also other projects not
mentioned here, that can work together on it. Each project for a kind of
content. In Wikinews, original reporting is fine, in Wikiversity, even
original research is fine. They can be more reliable than a book, in
some cases. It depends on how we do that, by reviewing, approval, etc,
there's a lot of extensions that can be used on it.

Castelo