[Foundation-l] The 'Undue Weight' of Truth on Wikipedia (from the Chronicle) + some citation discussions

neil at thebabbages.com neil at thebabbages.com
Wed Feb 22 11:52:54 UTC 2012

"What *was* at issue here is how we treat new users; the discussion was
approached (on the part of our editors) either as a battleground/fight, or in a quite patronising way. The issue here was that someone was put off from raising the issues."

The "expertise" that is most valued at Wikipedia is expertise in Wikipedia itself  - its policies, procedures, technology, etc - rather than expertise in the content. That's a fundamental cultural flaw if the project is to succeed.

In reference to other comments here about the treatment of new editors, there has been a noticeable (to me at least) shift away from the role of administrators and "senior editors" from helping newcomers overcome the challenges to finding them a nuisance. On smaller projects the "it's no big deal" approach to the sysop flag still dominates and the administrators spend their time correcting naming errors, moving pages, merging histories, adding templates and also adding content to help new work survive. I don't see that at the English Wikipedia any more.