[Foundation-l] New project: WikiMake - library of free 3D models?

Chris Lee theornamentalist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 18:39:46 UTC 2012

The largest problem I see with this is offering a 3D modelling software
that is free and (somewhat) easy to use. I know some exist, but they are
not nearly as friendly as Solidworks or Pro e. secondly, we would need to
offer a free viewer, so that they could be accessed from Wikipedia articles
or other projects. These are huge development barriers, as we barely have
resources for comparatively much less demanding softwares.

Creating a 3D model of a screw is one thing that could be beneficial for
someone creating some type of assembly for school or work, but to create a
3D model of a sculpture; how could we verify its proportions?

I like the concept, but it is very far from the plain text, html,  js that
runs virtually everything we work on in Wikimedia.