[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation monthly meeting video

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:17:04 UTC 2012

I've not yet had a chance to watch the video so I can't speak about the
technical aspects (or the content), but I would like to say THANKS for
doing this! I'm looking forward to videoing of presentations like this
being a standard procedure in the future. This will enable more people to
stay up-to-date with the activities of the WMF as well as demystify the
organisation a little bit more.

Aside from these "official" presentations, the WMF office also has a
regular series of lunchtime presentations (delivered by staff or visiting
guests). For example Brandon Harris gave this one  aboutt the forthcoming
mobile interface design (codename "Athena") in November last year:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Athena-brownbag-brandon-harris-2011-11-04.ogvHowever,
AFAIK, that is the only one that was filmed. It would be great
(once the technical aspects are sorted out), if all such presentations
could be filmed and made available.

While the content of every presentation won't be interesting to every
person, I think that showing the *real human beings* that work at the WMF
talking about what they do will go a great distance towards bridging a
perceived transparency gap when people talk about "The Foundation".
Portrait photos on the staff page and IRC "office hours" are good, but
nothing is quite like video for humanising an organisation.
For example: I just found this video -
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimedia_Foundation_Wikipedia_Blackout_SOPA_January_18,_2012.theora.ogva
recording of the office the moment en.wp began the SOPA blackout.
Whatever everyone's personal opinion on the protest itself, it certainly is
engaging and humanising!

So - here's to more content being added to
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Foundation_videos !

-Liam

Peace, love & metadata