[Foundation-l] Wiki Travel Guide

Juergen Fenn schneeschmelze at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 9 17:49:59 UTC 2012

Am 9. April 2012 06:50 schrieb James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com>:
> The core group of editors at Wikitravel are interested in joining a WMF run
> "Wiki Travel Guide". A proposal for creating such a project has been
> outlined here http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Travel_Guide and would
> develop from the content currently at wikitravel.org

As I've just written on the talk page there: Frankly speaking, I don't
think we need another wiki on travelling as there already is
Wikivoyage. Wikivoyage is a fork of Wikitravel that was created when
Wikitravel went commercial. It is run under a free CC-by-sa licence,
and it is ready to add new language projects. German editors of
Wikivoyage most probably will not change to a WMF project. So the
question is why the editors of English Wikitravel won't rather come
over and join Wikivoyage? It would be a rather bad idea to split
communities instead of joining them together. To my mind Wikivoyage is
the place where to gather travel information.

Regards,
Jürgen (contributing to both Wikipedia and Wikivoyage).

PS. I'll tell the German Wikvoyage community about this discussion.