No subject

Fri Sep 2 16:33:14 UTC 2011

to the meta-hosted wiki version.  And for the first time, you can access
translated 'summary' reports in 6 languages.  Printed copies are being
worked on right now (proofs being developed) and copies should be in the
WMF office next week.

This year we considerably expanded our multi-lingual effort by adding 6
translated 'summary' reports in Arabic, Japanese, French, German,
Portugese, and Spanish.  It's our first really visible multi-lingual
communications product, and it took some serious coordination to time
translation, design, production and wiki publishing.

This year's report focusses on global celebrations around Wikipedia 10, our
emerging work in India, the global education program, our mobile expansion
efforts, and on our major engineering/product accomplishments and
ambitions.  We center the book around the amazing Arab Spring article,
highlighting the inspiring quote from Wael Ghonim 'Our revolution is like
Wikipedia...'

The report is as much a story of the work and activities of our
international community as it is a traditional report on the work of WMF
through the year.  We hope it's not construed as a report focussed on the
work of WMF staff, rather a wide-ranging review of the work of chapters,
volunteers, partners - individuals and other kinds of volunteers. We aim
to enlighten the reader with the incredible range of activity and
innovation in our movement - to take them beyond the idea that Wikipedia is
simply text living on the web and show them a thriving and dynamic
community.

We also hope that the report can find an audience in those completely new
to our projects and our movement.  It should enlighten and deepen someone's
understanding of what this world is about - spurning (requiring!) that they
join us - whether as an editor, donor, partner or even employee.

We open the book with the declaration 'the way the world tells its story' -
an idea the report production team was fascinated by.  Wikipedia grown to
become the default place where all people are welcome to share their
history, geography, cultures - the story of the world. The Arab Spring
article stands in the center of this metaphor, a page that took shape in
this extraordinary year and helped millions of people around the world
develop a deeper, neutral, and timely understanding of the events that have
changed the middle east and the world forever.

As always, we welcome your comments and suggestions.  You can add comments
along with the community on the meta wiki talk pages.

Many thanks to the report production team: Tilman Bayer, design strategist
David Peters, and our story consultant David Weir.  Our communications
intern AJ was also a big help. Mostly we owe huge thanks to the Wikimedians
who made and shared the beautiful imagery in the book by posting it to
Commons. This is an ambitious, 100% fueled-by-free-works project. I'd like
to think it's one of the more unique and successful free culture printed
works out there - and it wouldn't be possible without our community.

Thanks and enjoy!

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications