[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 19:10:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Theo10011 <de10011 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  > That is just completely untrue. The image filter will allow people to
> > choose what to see and what not to see. We won't be making the
> > decisions...
> >

> Actually, "we" will be. Depending upon how such a system is implemented, it
> will use the editors or categories to find out which images go where and
> what is offensive. If you look at the mock-ups used in the referendum
> page[1][2], you will see switchable content filters based on categories or
> something similar. What picture goes under which content tab, would
> probably
> be decided by the categories.

No, we won't be. We will be putting certain categories/tags/classifications
on images, but it will still be the readers themselves who decide whether or
not they see the tagged images.

> People won't get to pick what goes under 'sexual content' or 'other
> controversial content' - for all we know, those 2 filters can occupy 90% of
> commons. I never got the impression that viewers would get a choice to pick
> and choose every single image they deem offensive, which brings the
> inevitable conundrum what is offensive to you, might not be for me.

There might well be an option to show a certain image even though it's under
the filter. Apart from that, if we were of the opinion that we should do
something perfectly or not at all, we would not have any of our projects.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com