[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 16:29:13 UTC 2011

On 30 September 2011 12:15, Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 16:24, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Milos, I believe this is exactly the kind of post that Sue was talking
> about
> > in her blog. It is aggressive, it is alienating, and it is intimidating
> > others who may have useful and progressive ideas but are repeatedly
> seeing
> > the opinions of others dismissed because they're women/not women or from
> the
> > US/not from the US. The implication of your post is "if you're a woman
> from
> > the US, your opinion is invalid". Your post here did not further the
> > discussion in any way, and I politely ask you to refrain from making such
> > posts in the future.
>
> As mentioned by Nathan and Oliver, I want to hear what do women think
> about the filter, how does it correlate with positions of men and how
> does it correlate with cultures.

I'm sorry to tell you, though, that you will not get this answer from this
mailing list.  Only a tiny number of Wiki[mp]edians subscribe to this list,
even fewer women subscribe to it, fewer still post to it, and your message
incorrectly characterized the views of at least two American women based on
their own posts to this list.  Thus, it becomes a disincentive to share
opinions when those opinions are first mischaracterized and secondly broken
down by reported sex and geographic origin.  Simply put, whatever happens on
this list is statistically insignificant and cannot, even in the tiniest
way, be considered representative of the views of either Wiki[mp]edians or
our readership, let alone extrapolated to determine the opinions of a
non-homogeneous country with 300 million residents.

I think there is much that can be discussed on the range of topic areas
covered in this thread. But we must keep in mind that the views expressed
here are those of the individuals, and there is absolutely insufficient
information for any of us to assume that those individual views are
representative of any particular demographic.  The sample size is far too
small.

Risker