[Foundation-l] We need more information (was: Blog from Sue about ...)

Bishakha Datta bishakhadatta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 15:17:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Lodewijk <lodewijk at effeietsanders.org>wrote:

> Hoping for a constructive discussion and more data on what our 'readers'
> actually want and/or need...
>
> Also, while we don't have reader data, we do have more than 20,000 answers
to the referendum or survey or whatever it should accurately be called.

As per Sue's report to the Board, which Erik referred to [1]:
"The referendum did not directly ask whether respondents supported the idea
of the filter. It did ask this question:

*On a scale of 0 to 10, if 0 is strongly opposed, 5 is neutral and 10 is
strongly in favor, please give your view of the following: It is important
for the Wikimedia projects to offer this feature to readers.*

24,023 people responded to that question, with 23,754 selecting a number on
the scale. The result was mildly in favour of the filter, with an average
response of 5.7 and a median of 6."

How do we understand this? And how should this be factored into making a
decision?

Best

Bishakha
[1]