[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Thu Sep 29 23:55:03 UTC 2011

This isn't just about the image filter. Try discussing whether or not
porn should be allowed on the Main page of Commons. Let me know if you
get any responses that don't cite [[WP:NOTCENSORED]]. Somehow the
majority of the community there believes that there are only two
possible positions on this issue:
* Save the children
* Protect Wikipedia from censorship
If you can't be shoved into one of those boxes, you're just ignored. The
tone issue is very pertinent in my view. I'm tired of everyone assuming
that every post on this issue has to be either pro- or
anti-censorship—as demonstrated by the responses to Sue's blog post.
Some people actually have nuanced views, and it's important that these
voices aren't excluded from the conversation.

I don't really care much about the image-filter issue, but I'm a big
advocate of presenting controversial content in appropriate contexts.
Thus I am routinely accused of supporting censorship (despite the fact
that I founded WikiProject Wikipedians Against Censorship!).

Ryan Kaldari