[Foundation-l] Dead Sea Scrolls

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Sep 29 13:11:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.rs> wrote:
> On 29/09/11 04:12, Anthony wrote:
>> You need to reread what I said.  I was not making a pro-copyright argument.
>
> You need to rewrite what you wrote so that it reflects what you meant.
> You were making a pro-copyright argument.

Let me be clear, then.  I have no position on the copyrightability of
this image, neither in the US nor elsewhere, neither on whether or not
this image is copyrighted, nor on whether or not it should be
copyrightable.

I also don't see why copyrightability matters.  Surely even if the
images are copyrighted they can be used by WMF under the doctrine of
fair use.  And even if they are not copyrighted, it's not clear to me
how the underlying images can even be obtained without committing a
felony of exceeding authorized access to a computer.