[Foundation-l] Blog from Sue about censorship, editorial judgement, and image filters

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Thu Sep 29 06:13:43 UTC 2011

Keegan Peterzell wrote:
> http://suegardner.org/2011/09/28/on-editorial-judgment-and-empathy/

Both the Wikimedia Board and Wikimedia Foundation staff have treated the
image filter as a fait accompli. I think downplaying this reality is
predictable and lamentable in Sue's post.

Individuals and organizations are free to implement their own filters. The
Wikimedia Foundation's goal is to promote and spread free educational
content. Focusing on features like an image filter, when features that are
critical to Wikimedia's goal are left by the wayside, is mind-boggling.
People can't edit wiki pages, but it's a gaping vagina on the front page
that's top priority?

The Wikimedia Board has failed the community in passing its controversial
content resolution. It caved to political and social pressures rather than
defending what Wikimedia is supposed to stand for. The Wikimedia Board knew
that an acceptable filter couldn't be implemented given technical and social
constraints, but chose to pass a resolution as an empty gesture. Board
members have acknowledged as much privately.

The controversial content resolution has done no good, but has done plenty
of harm. I think it's fairly shameful on the part of the Board, a very small
body of individuals whose primary objective is to protect the projects.
Instead, they chose this?

MZMcBride