[Foundation-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcing Community Fellow Jon Harald Søby

Siko Bouterse sbouterse at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 27 18:14:50 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Our fellowships
program<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Fellowships>is
growing, and I'm pleased to announce Jon
Harald Søby <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Jon_Harald_S%C3%B8by> as
our newest Community Fellow.  Jon brings 6 years of experience in the
Wikimedia community to his fellowship: he is an active editor, translator
and vandal fighter for several Wikimedia projects, an admin and bureaucrat
for Norwegian Wikipedia, and in the past has also been a steward, board
member for Wikimedia Norge, member of the election committee for Wikimedia
Norge and Wikimedia Sverige, and OTRS volunteer.

Language and localization are a major area of interest for Jon. Not only
does he help translate the MediaWiki interface and extensions, he's also a
founding member of the Language Committee and is finishing up a BA degree in
Linguistics from Norwegian University of Science and Technology. He has
traveled widely is always thinking from a global perspective. All of this
makes Jon a great fit for his fellowship project, which is focused on
piloting a new model for volunteer translations in the 2011 Fundraiser.
(Full disclosure: Jon started working with WMF earlier this summer as a
Fundraiser Production Coordinator, but we just had to make him a Community
Fellow when we saw how much potential there was for this project!).

Jon's fellowship will run until February 2012. His project priorities
include recruiting and coordinating more translators for more languages,
building pages and processes that make it easier for new volunteers to get
started, and improving systems for producing high-quality translations. To
learn more about the project or volunteer to help, please visit the 2011
Fundraiser Translations
page<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_2011/Translation>and
sign
up<https://sugar.corp.wikimedia.org/translators/translators.php?referrer=JonAnnounce>to