[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:11:51 UTC 2011

Am 25.09.2011 00:43, schrieb David Gerard:
> On 24 September 2011 23:00, Phil Nash<phnash at blueyonder.co.uk>  wrote:
>
>> The IWF just did not understand how access to Wikipedia works; a strange
>> situation, given their mission. And it wasn't helped by their publicity at
>> the time, IIRC. Fortunately, they seem to have shut up since then, and
>> possibly got their act together in targetting stuff that really does need
>> action by law enforcement. However, if that is the case, I would have
>> expected them to have shouted it from the rooftops, but I haven't seen it.
>
> The IWF situation is analogous to the present one. The government of
> the day called for "something to be done!" (the requirement spec for
> magical flying unicorn ponies), and the ISPs nodded and smiled and set
> up something called the IWF that pretended to supply magical flying
> unicorn ponies. And everyone was happy.
>
> That is, the IWF is the sort of organisation that can exist only as
> long as it doesn't affect people's lives, e.g. doesn't hit the
> headlines.
>
> What happened then was that the IWF had a rush of blood to the head,
> misunderstood their purpose (to pretend to do something impossible)
> and thought they needed to actually do something to implement the
> magical flying unicorn ponies requirement. So they blocked Wikipedia.
> And everyone noticed. And now they are well-known and are widely
> regarded as dangerous cretins. A cautionary tale for those hoping to
> implement filters.
>

> - d.

Thats whats make the filter even worse. Which ISP would think about
blocking Wikipedia entirely? Many would not take that risk. They learned
from this stories. But what if they use the filter(-categories) to block
parts of Wikipedia, because an IWF-like group puts pressure on them? It
is more likely to succeed, especially in regions that aren't as
developed as the so called western countries.

I don't fear that this could happen in Germany, especially after the
Pirate-Party got surprisingly 8,9% in the last election. But i fear for
the users in countries like Turkey, Egypt, Taiwan or parts of the
African Union. Especially with the mission in mind to reach this people.

That the filter, as proposed, would not satisfy possible censors should
be clear. But it provides a tool to calmly censor content with our help
and efforts. A double edged sword.