[Foundation-l] Image filter

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 23:10:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 1:39 AM, Phil Nash <phnash at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> ???? wrote:

>>> Analogously, tell me about your personal endorsement of the Digital
>>> Economy Act and justify each provision.
>>>

>> Last I heard in the real world Germans did not want their kids
>> looking a images of porn or excessive violence online. That sites
>> that were targeted at Germans required age filters, that Google was
>> frequently asked to remove pages from theor index, and that ISPs were
>> instructed to disallow access to such sites.
>>
>> Under such circumstances the opinions of 300 self selecting Germans is
>> unlikely to be indicative of German opinion.
>
> Unless I've missed something of importance, the stance of parents in Germany
> is little different from those in any other country. The USA and UK have
> both tried, and failed, to impose such censorship, even through licensing or
> grading schemes; but the bottom line is that the internet doesn't work that
> way, and in my experience there is no common denominator jurisdiction that
> has the will or the power to impose any restrictions on a global medium.
>
> Local jurisdictions may attempt to do so, but experience over the last
> thirty years tends to suggest that such restrictions are easily
> circumvented. That's why TOR, to name only one, exists.
>
> Optimistically, global censorship is just not going to happen.

Personally my understanding of the German position on censorship
is that it shouldn't happen, pretty much like in Finland, Sweden,
Norway, France and the Netherlands. Can't really speak for Austria,
Belgium, Switcherland or the staunchly mediterranean european
countries (suspect the mediterraneans are heavily beset by
cognitive dissonance -- "think of the children" but when one like
Berlusconi thinks of the children the wrong way and gets caught,
it is all just a political witch-hunt; and when it is Carnivale, anything
goes, it is just a little bit of fun, plenty of time to be offended when
Carnivale is over. <rolls eyes> )