[Foundation-l] Image filter

Mikael mikael79 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 19:35:46 UTC 2011

On 23/09 2011 14:31, Tobias Oelgarte wrote:
> I agree with that. But i also have to mention that we have same
> repeating patterns in the claims that we would need a filter, because
> there is a huge mass of users demanding it. Actually i don't see this
> mass of users in all samples that i have taken over time. Even in
> theoretical support that there are much more complains then actually are
> written down at the discussion pages, it's still below 1% or less. Thats
> make me think that the arguments for the introduction of a filter are
> already based on a loud minority view.

I may have missed it in the miles of discussions on this topic, but is
there anywhere a statement from the Board about the main audience they
expect to use this filter?
Is it mainly for the benefit of:
1) present contributors
2) present readers who don't contribute
3) people who as of yet neither reads nor edits?
4) others (please specify).

If we mainly go for (1), I agree that it's pointless - the present users
wouldn't have been users had they (read: a majority of them) demanded  a
filter in the first place.
If we mainly go for (2) or (3), I don't see the value of the referendum
nor the Meinungsbild: the wrong audience was asked. Instead a survey of
the intended, new, groups would have been needed.

But in short, until we know about the intended audience, any debate
seems to be pretty pointless, and based on assumptions which aren't even
the same with all participants.