[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 23 11:34:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 09:27:41AM +0100, Fae wrote:
> How odd, checking Tobias' list, I tried
> http://www.safesearchkids.com/wikipedia-for-kids.html to look for
> "penis" and it recommended [[File:Male erect penis.jpg]] as the second
> match. I was expecting it to restrict me to the more rounded and
> educational encyclopaedia entries, not straight to the most
> challenging images without context.
>
> If the WMF were to "recommend" such a solution for schools or
> religious groups, we might run into some immediate complaints.

Right. That's because actual *reliable* general filtering is
impossible with modern 21-st century technology. We call it an
AI-hard problem.

Be aware that most "filter solutions" are an outright scam.

The only way to make a general filter that would really work, is to
get a bunch of human beings together and classify all the world's
knowledge.

So... guess what we have as a (partial) prerequisite for our opt-in filter?

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning