[Foundation-l] Image filter

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 23 11:25:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 02:03:00PM +0200, me at marcusbuck.org wrote:
> After some thinking I come to the conclusion that this whole
> discussion is a social phenomenon.
>

> I think the same is happening here. The majority of people probably
> think that an optional opt-in filter is a thing that does no harm to
> non-users and has advantages for those who choose to use it. (Ask your
> gramma whether "You can hide pictures if you don't want to see them"
> sounds like a threatening thing to her.) But the scepticists voice
> their opinions loudly and point out every single imaginable problem.

However, poll data suggests otherwise (taking the de.wikipedia
sample). AFAIK it's a minority that want filters, with a majority
that doesn't.

But let's say that you are correct.

I don't think many people are opposed to opt-in filters, because they
think such a filter will have no side effects.

They're also not generally opposed to unicorn ponies, because they
think such ponies won't make a mess.

In fact, I think lots of people would be all for Sharks with laser
Beams on their heads- provided they are Mostly Harmless.

Filters without Side Effects, Ponies that don't Make A Mess,
Laser Sharks that are Mostly Harmless.

All of these would be *priceless*.

Unfortunately, there's some things that money simply can't buy
For everything else, there's wikimedia.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning