[Foundation-l] A possible solution for the image filter

WereSpielChequers werespielchequers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:46:54 UTC 2011

Bjoern has pointed out a flaw in that some filterers might get trigger
happy, but that can be resolved by giving people the option when they decide
to click on an image A not to filter that image in future and B to disregard
everything else filtered out by the person who thought that image
problematic. We could also slightly complicate the system by splitting
option 3 into a cautious and a very cautious button - very cautious filters
anything that any other filterer thought problematic, and cautious ignores
filterers who have often been ignored by other filterers.

I would have thought that a Bot trawling all images to see which have been
objected to by somebody would probably be blocked as a denial of service
attack, afterall how many readers actually read more than 100,000 articles a
year?

Re Stephen Bain's point re Flickr, I raised Flickr in a previous thread as
proof that whether or not this is theoretically possible it has been done in
practice. Fae then criticised the way Flickr operates its filters, hence my
design which I hope would work and I believe would avoid the problems we
would have in using the Flickr approach.

Re Andrew's point re readers on blocked IPs, we have ways of creating
accounts for people who are caught up by IP range blocks.  If the overlap
between readers wanting to create an account in order to filter images and
readers caught up in IP range blocks  becomes excessive then we could
probably create a filter only account for them.

I'm uncomfortable about a session cookie based system for IP readers, many
of our readers are in Internet Cafes and I'm not sure if PCs in those sorts
of environments get rebooted and the session cookies wiped between
customers.

WereSpielChequers