[Foundation-l] A possible solution for the image filter

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Thu Sep 22 12:16:16 UTC 2011

On 22 September 2011 12:23, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 September 2011 12:19, WereSpielChequers
> <werespielchequers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So is there a simpler way to do this, is there some flaw in this that would
>> prevent it working, or is this the flying unicorn option?
>
> I believe it was envisioned as working for anonymous casual readers as well.
>
> There *should* be some way to at least have the no-images option for
> anonymous readers without ruining caching ...

Cookies? It would work on at least a per-session basis, I'd think.

One issue here is that if we make it registered-user-only we need to
work out how this interacts with account creation - and IP blocks. It
clearly will cause problems if people *want* to turn on the filter, go
to create an account, and discover one of our famed cryptic block
messages telling them they can't...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk