[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter - magical flying unicorn pony that s***s rainbows

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:08:25 UTC 2011

Andrew Gray wrote:

> People are saying we can't have the image filter because it
> would stop us being neutral. If we aren't neutral to begin
> with, this is a bad argument.

An image filter feature isn't inherently non-neutral, but one reliant
upon special categories (as described in the WMF outline) would be.

Unlike our normal categories (which objectively and non-exclusively
describe images' subjects in great detail), a manageable setup would
require broad, objection-based (i.e. extremely subjective)
classifications.

Additional non-neutrality enters the equation when we provide
categories for some "potentially objectionable" images and not others
(implicitly validating belief x and discriminating against holders of
belief y).  As previously discussed, this isn't realistically
avoidable.

Even if it were feasible to include an "unveiled women" category, who
would analyze the millions of images (with thousands more uploaded
every day) to tag them accordingly?  That's merely a single example.

David Levy