[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:53:20 UTC 2011

Am 22.09.2011 00:20, schrieb Robert Rohde:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:00 AM, David Gerard<dgerard at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> The board resolution specifies a magical flying unicorn pony that
>> shits rainbows. A wide-ranging survey has been conducted on the
>> precise flight patterns and the importance of which way round the
>> rainbow spectrum goes. These tiresome people who keep calling this
>> "impossible" just do not understand that the high-level decision for a
>> magical flying unicorn pony that shits rainbows has been set in stone.
>>
> I don't have any unicorns, but there are lots of ponies.  I'd be happy
> to stick a horn on one and call her sparkles if that would help?
>
> User rating / categorization systems are like ponies.  They are a
> familiar and commonplace way of organizing things.  They can be used
> to filter some things and reduce the degree of surprise; however they
> will always have both a large false positive rate and a large false
> negative rate.  No filter is going to fly or shit rainbows.
>
> The question is not where to find mythical beasts, but whether
> dressing up a horse so that it looks a little like a unicorn would
> actually be useful.  And that depends on whether there is actual
> demand for such filters, and whether having a filter that is
> sort-of-okay some of the time would be helpful to the people who want
> filtering.
>
> -Robert Rohde
The questions are. How many of the readers would actually:
* want such a filter?
* use such a filter?
* see a need for a filter?
* accept an biased filter that doesn't comply to their opinion?
* think of it as a tool to protect their children?

Given the current data i have, this will be a very tiny group of users,
but an huge amount of work, a new battlefield and tool for censors.