[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter - magical flying unicorn pony that s***s rainbows

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:27:36 UTC 2011

Am 21.09.2011 23:53, schrieb Bjoern Hoehrmann:
> * Sue Gardner wrote:
>> Does it mean basically this: deWP put the Vulva article on its front
>> page, and then held a poll to decide whether to i) stop putting
>> articles like Vulva on its front page, because they might surprise or
>> shock some readers, or ii) continue putting articles like Vulva on the
>> front page, regardless of whether they surprise or shock some readers.
>> And the voted supported the latter.
> The poll asked whether there should be formalized restrictions beyond
> the existing ones (only good articles can be proposed). Voters decided
> against that and to keep the status quo instead where it is decided on
> a case-by-case basis which articles to feature on the main page without
> additional formalized selection criteria that would disqualify certain
> articles. Put differently, they decided that if someone disagress that
> a certain article should not be featured, they cannot point to policy
> to support their argument.

That isn't true. Since the policy states that all terms are treated
equal (NPOV) there is only a discussion if the date might be suitable
(topics with correlation to a certain date get precedence). Otherwise it
is decided if the quality (actuality and so on) is suitable for AotD,
since there might be a lot of time between the last nomination for good
articles and the versions might differ strongly due to recent changes.
If a topic is offensive or not does not play any role. Only quality
matters. This rule existed from the beginning and it did not change.
>> If I've got that right, I assume it means that policy on the German
>> Wikipedia today would support putting Vulva on the main page. Is there
>> an 'element of least surprise' type policy or convention that would be
>> considered germane to this, or not?
> Among editors who bothered to participate in the process, featuring
> the article at all was not particularily controversial, but there
> was a rather drawn out discussion about which, if any, image to use.
> I have read much of the feedback at the time and my impression is
> that this was not very different among "readers", most complaints
> were about the image they had picked (and possibly some about images
> in the article itself).
>
> Keep in mind that continental europe's attitude towards sex is quite
> different than north america's. I read this the other day and found
> it quite illustrative, "While nine out of 10 Dutch parents had allowed
> or would consider sleepovers once the child was 16 or 17, nine out of
> 10 American parents were adamant: “not under my roof.”".
That illustrates very well why the german community would not share the
same view. Additionally it clarifies that a global approach for
filtering isn't possible to be implemented the right way. We really put
something like ice and fire in the same box and want them to come to the
same conclusion. It will just happen to be something like a battle. But
a result, a compromise? Impossible by design.