[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter - magical flying unicorn pony that s***s rainbows

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Wed Sep 21 19:52:15 UTC 2011

On 21 September 2011 12:37, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:
> * Sue Gardner wrote:
>>> Yes we put the "vulva" on the main page and it got quite some attention.
>>> We wanted it this way to test out the reaction of the readers and to
>>> start a discussion about it. The result was as expected. Complains that
>>> it is offensive together with Praises to show what neutrality really is.
>>> After the discussion settled, we opened a Meinungsbild (Poll) to
>>> question if any article/image would be suitable for the main page
>>> (Actually it asked to not allow any topic). The result was very clear.
>>> 13 supported the approach to leave out some content from the main page.
>>> 233 (95%) were against the approach to hide some subjects from the main
>>> page.
>>
>>Can you point me towards that poll?
>
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meinungsbilder/Beschränkung_der_Themen_für_den_Artikel_des_Tages

Thanks, Björn. That's so interesting: I hadn't known about that poll.

Can someone help me understand the implications of it?

Does it mean basically this: deWP put the Vulva article on its front
page, and then held a poll to decide whether to i) stop putting
articles like Vulva on its front page, because they might surprise or
shock some readers, or ii) continue putting articles like Vulva on the
front page, regardless of whether they surprise or shock some readers.
And the voted supported the latter.

If I've got that right, I assume it means that policy on the German
Wikipedia today would support putting Vulva on the main page. Is there
an 'element of least surprise' type policy or convention that would be
considered germane to this, or not?

I'd be grateful too if anyone would point me towards the page that
delineates the process for selecting the Article of the Day. I can
read pages in languages other than English (sort of) using Google
Translate, but I have a tough time actually finding them :-)

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!