[Foundation-l] Possible solution for image filter

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 19:06:41 UTC 2011

On 21 September 2011 19:47, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Milos Rancic wrote:

>> Don't worry! Any implementation of censorship project would lead to
>> endless troll-fests which would be more dumb than Youtube comments.
>> The point is just to kick out them out of productive projects. Imagine
>> a place where Christian, Muslim, <religon3>, <religionN>
>> fundamentalists will have to cooperate! That would be the place for
>> epic battles of dumbness. We'll have in-house circus!

> You're comfortable with the Wikimedia Foundation hosting/funding an
> "in-house circus"?

I don't see that Milos' proposal will be any more of a circus than any
other proposed filtering plan (except "switch all images on/off") and
it has the advantage of keeping the circus somewhere general users of
the site don't need to be bothered. And if they actually square the
circle and come up with something that doesn't fundamentally violate
neutrality, then win.

- d.