[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Kanzlei kanzlei at f-t-hofmann.de
Wed Sep 21 16:31:09 UTC 2011

Am 21.09.2011 um 17:36 schrieb Tobias Oelgarte <tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com>:

> It's your basic philosophy that sucks. It's _not_ the choice of the
> reader to hide image he don't like. It's the choice of the reader to
> hide image that others don't like! Now get a cup of tea and think about it.

It's the bad double-think that sucks. In most cases pictures give no neccessary information in an article or they represent no NPOV information at all. They just illustrate. No piece of information would be missing if the pictures were linked instead of shown. Often it is sheer random which picture is choosen for an article.

But You are right. The basic conflict is philosophical. The question behind is: Shall we continue as tough guys with porn pictures, no limits and no rules as everything started or shall we include more sensitive people, women and nations?

Shall our knowledge come rude in one step to everybody or shall we try to reach more people by making steps of least astonishment towards the same truth, but in a pace everybody can live with?

For me this discussion is hypocrite. Don't hide Yoursef behind the "choice of the reader". The writers of an article choose alone. They choose words, order and content. The pictures are in most cases the least important of these. So every article hides a lot of information the writers choose not to show. That's normal. And they normally flippantly forget to write a style the more sensitive can live with, that's all.