[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Tobias Oelgarte tobias.oelgarte at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:42:33 UTC 2011

Am 21.09.2011 17:21, schrieb Jussi-Ville Heiskanen:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM, phoebe ayers<phoebe.wiki at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen
>> <cimonavaro at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Would I be incorrect in pointing out that American public librarys routinely
>>> exclude world famous childrens book author Astrid Lindgrens childrens
>>> books, because to puritanical minds a man who can elevate himself
>>> with a propeller beany, and look into childs rooms thereby, smacks too
>>> much of pedophilia?
>>>
>> Uh... yes, you would be incorrect? I certainly checked out Astrid
>> Lindgren books from the public library when I was a kid. I have never
>> heard of them getting challenged in the US. Citation needed?
>>
>> The ALA maintains a list of books that do get routinely challenged in
>> US libraries here:
>> http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/index.cfm.
>> Note, this just means someone *asked* for the book to be removed from
>> the public or school library, not that it actually was; libraries
>> generally stand up to such requests.
>>
>> Also note that challenges are typically asking for the book to be
>> removed from the library altogether -- restricting access to it for
>> everyone in the community -- as opposed to simply not looking at it
>> yourself or allowing your own kids to check it out. It's the 'removal
>> for everyone' part that is the problem; the issue here is freedom of
>> choice: people should have the right to read, or not read, a
>> particular book as they see fit.
>>
> The wikipedia article does mention the controversy, but omits the
> fact that several libraries did in fact pull the books from their inventory...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsson-on-the-Roof

Most of the very popular books where removed due to other problems. Some
would have a format/case that would not suite (Madonna for example).
Some others would be bought and immediately "sold out". It's simply not
the job of a library to represent bestsellers as soon they come out for
give away. That is often misinterpreted as banned books. It just leads
to the fact, that some books are bought later on, when the hype settled
down.