[Foundation-l] Board resolutions on controversial content and images of identifiable people

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:31:59 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 10:10 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:>

> This seems like an over-hasty statement. There are many possible
> categorization schemes that are neutral; the ALA in fact makes that
> distinction itself, since libraries (obviously) use all kinds of labeling
> and categorization schemes all the time. The ALA and other library
> organizations have taken a stand against censorious and non-neutral
> labeling, not all labeling. If you keep reading the ALA page you linked, it
> says that the kind of labels that are not appropriate are when "the
> prejudicial label is used to warn, discourage or prohibit users or certain
> groups of users from accessing the material" -- e.g. a label that reads "not
> appropriate for children". That does not mean that picture books for kids,
> or mystery novels, or large-print books, aren't labeled as such in every
> public library in the country -- and that is the difference between
> informative and prejudicial labeling.

Would I be incorrect in pointing out that American public librarys routinely
exclude world famous childrens book author Astrid Lindgrens childrens
books, because to puritanical minds a man who can elevate himself
with a propeller beany, and look into childs rooms thereby, smacks too
much of pedophilia?