[Foundation-l] Minor projects withering and dying? Really?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 21 03:38:03 UTC 2011

On 09/13/11 6:11 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:

> I am not a Wictionary contributor but I was never able to understand why
> we have Wictionaries in different language, though a big part of those seem
> to be translations on other languages, and they overlap. Would it not be
> advantageous to have just one Wictionary (as we have just one Commons)?
>
> Sorry for the ignorant question, there might be obvious reasons why they
> should not be the same.

The root concept for Wiktionary was indeed to include all words in all
languages.  The presence of Wiktionaries in each language was designed
for the benefit of speakers of the host language who could have
definitions and descriptions based on the cultural norms of that language.

The primary function of a dictionary is to explain a language and its
history to its own speakers.  This includes tracing the usages of a word
over an extended period of time.  It is descriptive, and not prescriptive.

Translation is a secondary objective. We can translate words, but we can
rarely be certain that the result will truly convey the meaning of the
source.  This is especially true of literary works.  A good translator
will not depend solely on a translation dictionary; he translated the
meaning and not just the word.

Ray