[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 14:56:08 UTC 2011

On 19 September 2011 15:50, Fae <fae at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:

> All of these would be problematic; if these were the default criteria
> for a school to enforce on their pupils when using school computers,
> one could imagine images of many 18th century paintings or depictions
> of gods being excluded due to "nude female breasts" and one would have
> to exclude all photographs of ancient Egyptian mummies as they were
> all "mutilated" as part of the process for embalming.

How much is "mutilated"? A scratch? Ten scratches? A hundred
scratches? St Sebastian?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sebastia.jpg

This is what I mean by "magical categories". "I know it when I see it"
isn't enough. "Lots of us know it when we see it" is a blatant
neutrality violation.

You need to be able to answer these sort of questions if you advocate
a filtering system involving any assessment of image content.

- d.