[Foundation-l] A Wikimedia project has forked

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sun Sep 18 20:19:33 UTC 2011

Samuel Klein wrote:
> Not speaking on behalf of the Foundation, but repeating what Erik said
> earlier and pointing to our five-year plan, the WMF is prioritizing
> community-driven innovation as one of its core targets for support.

Wikimedia has made the English Wikipedia its primary focus. The question
becomes whether that's fair to the other projects and whether it makes sense
for Wikimedia to continue "maintaining" them. Would it make more sense for
Wikimedia to limit its focus and maintain a few projects much better? It's a
question of what's fairest to the communities and a question of how long
either side is willing to wait.

MZMcBride