[Foundation-l] 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:17:17 UTC 2011

On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Oliver Koslowski <o.nee at t-online.de> wrote:

> Am 18.09.2011 13:56, schrieb Andre Engels:
> > On itself the one who tags the image, but we happen to have a system for
> > that in Wikimedia. It is called discussion and trying to reach consent.
> Who
> > decides whether a page is in a category? Who decides whether a page has
> an
> > image? Who decides whether something is decribed on a page? All the same.
>
> Our typical system of categories is designed to make it easier to /find/
> (related) articles or media. Good luck trying that with a system that is
> designed to /hide/ things.

I don't see a difference. I want to show images showing so-and-so, or I do
not want to see them. It's all about saying whether images show so-and-so.

> And this doesn't seem like an awful waste of
> precious time to you? For a feature that is not all that likely to be
> popular on a global scale?

It depends. If people want to do it, it is their choice how to use their
volunteering time. If they don't, then bad luck to those using the feature.

I do agree that there are dozens of things in Wikipedia/Wikimedia/Mediawiki
that I'd rather see; I chose the secon-lowest rating in the referendum, and
might well have chosen the lowest had I not expected that to be understood
as "I am against this". I do think there are many better things to do with
our time and other means.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com