[Foundation-l] Technical aspects of forking (was: 86% of german users disagree with the introduction of the personal image filter)

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 11:42:08 UTC 2011

2011/9/17 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> On 17 September 2011 10:16, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 7:11 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> We need people to try the technical basics of a fork, i.e. taking an
>>> en:wp dump, an images dump, ..
>
>> Is there an images dump?
>

> If there isn't, there should be.
>
> (I'm now trying to work out how to get the images without using up all
> my bandwidth allowances ever.)

I have no traffic limit on my home connection. Just ship a big enough
storage device and I'll be happy to provide you a full dump :P

Just kidding, of course. On a more serious note, what do you expect
the difficulties to be? I believe the most difficult part would be to
replicate the foundation's "secret sauce", i.e. the configuration
files that are not made public, if such thing exists. Then would come
the whole traffic balancing/caching/optimization settings, which would
greatly depend on the actual traffic a fork would have.

Strainu